On the 12th September 1899 Old Novocastrians Rugby Football Club was formed by a group of former pupils of the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne. A letter was sent out reading ‘A proposed new club for Newcastle: A meeting will be held at the Grammar School, Rye Hill under the auspices of Old Novocastrians Club, for the purpose of forming a new rugby club. The attendance of Grammar school boys is specially required.’
The club went from strength to strength over the next few decades, and have resided in Benton, since 1925, when Sir Arthur Sutherland purchased the ground and subsequently built the clubhouse in 1928.
The Old was dropped in 1969, and the club has been open ever since. However, the club still holds many ties with the school with many current members ex-pupils of the school.
The RGS are our current landlords after buying the ground off of Sir Arthur Sutherland, after the outbreak of war in 1939. The school still use the pitches at Sutherland Park to this day and the relationship is the strongest it has been for many years.
Long may this continue!